1971

POPULATION:  18,076

HOUSES:  4,281


SCHOOLS

  • Committee formed to investigate short- and long-term issues related to high school capacity shortfall
    • Recommends staggered schedule and open campus for 1972 to deal with shortage of classroom space.
  • New high school teachers include include Tom Morris (social studies), Pauline Powers (chemistry), and the three Judiths:  Singer (phys ed), Springer (English), and Sjolund (business). Tom Monaghan joins the Fisher School 6th Grade team, and Michael Kelly begins tenure as high school guidance counselor.

5th Grade students at Bird Elementary School practicing on the "recorder",
which was the first exposure to playing a musical instrument for most Walpole students
during the 1960s and 1970s, replacing its predecessor the "Flutophone".

2 comments:

Tom Monaghan said...

In 1971, when I started my career in Walpole, my life changed forever.
I worked in Walpole in 1969-1970 three different terms as a Co-op student from Northeastern University
I often had long conversations with Assistant Superintendent Doctor Robert Bassett. He was very curious
about the newest pedagogy being taught in college. He showed me his map of staff he had hired from
across the country because of their unique skills. I was really intrigued when he shared his vision for
a child-centered middle school with cross grading, interdisciplinary units, community outreach, an environmental
education program, and incredible innovations.
I worked with Arthur Hull- Walpole High School Language Department Head
and Tony Langston Walpole High School Social Studies Head. I met amazing educators. Another term I was assigned to Doris Grindle, English, and Laura Warcup, Social Studies at West Junior High. I admired these talented ladies. My third term was a real treat working
at East Junior High when the sixth grade was in that building for Dot Saulnier. I saw a sixth grade team work so hard for kids.

When I graduated from Northeastern in June 1971, I had earned a Bachelor of Science degree concentrating on Secondary English and Social Studies. I applied many places. In Walpole there were no openings for a high school English teacher. I loved the staff I had met in those three buildings in your town and was sadly disappointed. My mood did a 180 when Doctor Bassett called to tell me about a sudden opening - teaching just English and Reading and some music classes at grade 6 - now back in an elementary - at Fisher School. The spot I filled was vacated by Nannette DiMieno. She had gotten married and moved to Salt Lake City, Utah.

As noted here in this history of Walpole- I was interviewed first by Dick Eldridge, principal and then by team six teachers- Suzanne Hopkins Gillam, Sue Kelly Polac, and Joe Carr. I was hired and my love affair with Walpole continued for the next thirty five years.

Tom Monaghan said...

Thank you for creating this Walpole Timeline and including me in the town's history.